#1  – First houses constructed by 1955
After the discovery of Geco and Willroy Mines, [Manitouwadge] was organized as an Improvement District by the province in late 1954 and was planned by what was then the department of planning and development.  Rather remarkably, by the fall of 1955, water, sewer, roads, school, telephone and hydro were available and some 35 families were accommodated in houses constructed by the two mining companies.
 -  The Chronicle-Journal, April 22, 1975

#2  - First loggers in the watershed
 The year was 1937, the cutting rights on the Pic River watershed were acquired by General Timber Company, a subsidiary of Marathon Paper Mills which was a corporate predecessor
of American Can.  Operations undertaken by this Company, saw spruce pulpwood along the Pic River and its tributaries cut and driven down the Pic to Lake Superior where it was boomed and rafted across the Lake to pulp mills in upstate Wisconsin.  General Timber's
activities remained close to driveable streams and never extended for more than 40 miles up
the Pic River.                                                                                                          
  -"American Can" [a manuscript based on several named sources]

#3 - First access road is gravel
[In 1954] a gravel road was broken through 40 miles of bush from Highway 17 . . .  The reason: huge deposits of copper and zinc along with gold, silver, and other metals, which had been discovered in 1931 and had lain virtually unknown except by a few men until 1953 . . .  Soon following the road, Canada's two major railroads began to lay tracks, and the silence of the bush was broken by the whistle of ore-laden trains.                                                   
  - "Manitouwadge, Cave of the Great Spirit", Minnesota North Lutheran Witness, February, 1966

Leave a Reply.